Re: [lm-sensors] coretemp.0 folder contents changed

From: Guenter Roeck
Date: Tue May 06 2014 - 09:32:41 EST

On 05/06/2014 04:55 AM, Jean Delvare wrote:
Hi Guenter, Srinivas,

On Mon, 5 May 2014 10:32:31 -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:
On Mon, May 05, 2014 at 10:13:11AM -0700, Srinivas Pandruvada wrote:
for kernel : 3.15.rc3 .

Is there any change in the coretemp? Previously we used to see,
tempx data (like temp2_input, temp2_max etc.)
/sys/devices/platform/coretemp.0/.

That isn't where you are supposed to look for hwmon attributes.

Actually I used to recommend looking there when people were not using
libsensors (e.g. for pwmconfig / fancontrol or custom scripts.) This
path had the great merit of being stable across reboots, while hwmon
class device numbers are not (or at least they aren't guaranteed to be.)

(...)
To give you the background, hwmon attributes are in the process of
being moved from the parent device to the hwmon device, or from
/sys/class/hwmon/hwmonX/device/ to /sys/class/hwmon/hwmonX/,
as part of an effort to streamline the code and make it more
consistent and maintainable.

I am just realizing that we are also losing the stability of hardware
device based paths with that move :( I suppose I shouldn't have
bothered adding support for this to fancontrol.

Don't get me wrong, I still believe this is the right move, but I fear
that the question of persistent hwmon device names will resurface every
now and then again. libsensors offers a solution but 1* it lacks
support for pwm attributes and 2* it doesn't help with shell or perl
scripts such as pwmconfig and fancontrol.

Can we implement a similar approach to network devices and make hwmon
path names (ie the /sys/class/hwmon/XXX path name) configurable via udev ?
Might be worth exploring.

Guenter