Re: [Intel-gfx] [3.14.0-rc4] regression: drm FIFO underruns

From: JÃrg Otte
Date: Tue May 13 2014 - 06:29:58 EST

>> > To make sure that you're only seeing this at boot up and not elseplace
>> > please check that it doesn't show up when you do anything of the
>> > below:
>> > a) suspend/resume
>> > b) changing the output mode (e.g. with xrandr --mode)
>> > c) changing the output pipe (e.g. with xrandr --crtc)
>> > d) all of the above but with heavy system load, e.g. compile kernels
>> > with make -j <num-cores*2>
>> >
>> > Also please test the latest drm-intel-nightly branch from
>> > http://cgit.freedesktop.org/drm-intel to make sure we haven't yet
>> > fixed this in our -next branch.
>> >

>> Ok, that was a lot of homework ;)
>>
>> I checked a,b,d): All worked without FIFO underruns.
>>
>> For c): I must admit I don't know what --crtc is good for and
>> the man page isn't very useful. I can't enter a meaningful command.
>
> $ xrandr --output <output> --auto --crtc 0
>
> and
>
> $ xrandr --output <output> --auto --crtc 1
>
> should do the trick, presuming you only have one output in total. Then
> switch a bit between them.

Works without underruns, with standard and nightly kernel.

>> Branch drm-intel-nightly as of
>> ed60c27 drm-intel-nightly: 2014y-05m-09d-21h-51m-45s integration manifest
>> looks badly:
>> - KDE splash screen on boot-up is not visible
>> - x-windows don't have title and menu bars
>> - KDE system menu is not visible
>> - moving windows around destroys its content
>
> Ugh, that's ugly. Nothing else change like e.g. the version of
> xfree-video-intel?

(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so
(II) Module intel: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
Module class: X.Org Video Driver
ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 11.0

>> apart from that: Via control key I can open a terminal and I checked
>> a,b), both worked without FIFO underruns.
>
> And what about at boot? If -nightly regresses even on that that's pretty
> awful.
Sorry I forgot to mention this. It behaves like the standard kernel.
The FIFO underrun comes at boot-up. And than never again.

> Also please test
>
> http://patchwork.freedesktop.org/patch/25568/

For me it doesn't make any difference.

>it might help for your case. If it doesn't we need to look into what
>exactly goes wrong on driver load

Don't know if this matters: I always use kernels without loadable modules.
Everything is built-in.

Thanks, JÃrg