Re: [ISSUE] sched/cgroup: Does cpu-cgroup still works fine nowadays?

From: Michael wang
Date: Fri May 16 2014 - 00:24:47 EST

Hey, Mike :)

On 05/16/2014 10:51 AM, Mike Galbraith wrote:
> On Fri, 2014-05-16 at 10:23 +0800, Michael wang wrote:
>
>> But we found that one difference when group get deeper is the tasks of
>> that group become to gathered on CPU more often, some time all the
>> dbench instances was running on the same CPU, this won't happen for l1
>> group, may could explain why dbench could not get CPU more than 100% any
>> more.
>
> Right. I played a little (sane groups), saw load balancing as well.

Yeah, now we found that even l2 groups will face the same issue, allow
me to re-list the details here:

Firstly do workaround (10 times latency):
echo 240000000 > /proc/sys/kernel/sched_latency_ns
echo NO_GENTLE_FAIR_SLEEPERS > /sys/kernel/debug/sched_features

This workaround may related to another issue about vruntime bonus for
sleeper, but let's put it down currently and focus on the gather issue.

Create groups like:
mkdir /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu/A
mkdir /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu/B
mkdir /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu/C

mkdir /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu/l1
mkdir /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu/l1/A
mkdir /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu/l1/B
mkdir /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu/l1/C

Run workload like (6 is half of the CPUS on my box):
echo $$ > /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu/A/tasks ; dbench 6
echo $$ > /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu/B/tasks ; stress 6
echo $$ > /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu/C/tasks ; stress 6

Check top, each dbench instance got around 45%, totally around 270%,
this is close to the case when only dbench running (300%) since we use
the workaround, otherwise we will see it to be around 100%, but that's
another issue...

By sample /proc/sched_debug, rarely see more than 2 dbench instances on
same rq.

Now re-run workload like:
echo $$ > /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu/l1/A/tasks ; dbench 6
echo $$ > /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu/l1/B/tasks ; stress 6
echo $$ > /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu/l1/C/tasks ; stress 6

Check top, each dbench instance got around 20%, totally around 120%,
sometime dropped under 100%, and dbench throughput dropped.

By sample /proc/sched_debug, frequently see 4 or 5 dbench instances on
same rq.

So just one level deeper from l1 to l2 and such a big difference, and
groups with same shares not equally share the resources...

BTW, by bind each dbench instances to different CPU, dbench in l2 groups
will regain all the CPU% which is 300%.

I'll keep investigation and try to figure out why l2 group's tasks
starting to gather, please let me know if there are any suggestions ;-)

Regards,
Michael Wang