Re: skbuff truesize incorrect.

From: Vlad Yasevich
Date: Thu May 22 2014 - 15:25:50 EST

On 05/22/2014 03:07 PM, Jim Baxter wrote:
> Hi, I was hoping you can help me with some questions.
>
> I have been investigating a network issue with bursts of network traffic
> over USB CDC-NCM, the issue is that the kernel is dropping packets
> because sk_rcvqueues_full() returns true due to skb2->truesize is always
> 32960 instead of SKB_TRUESIZE(skb2->len) which is about 1800.
>
> The code I am trying to fix is this code below, it is splitting a set of
> multiple network packets compressed into a single 16k packet into
> individual skb's and sending them up the network stack.
>
> skb2 = skb_clone(skb, GFP_ATOMIC);
> if (skb2 == NULL)
> goto err;
>
> if (!skb_pull(skb2, index)) {
> ret = -EOVERFLOW;
> goto err;
> }

This assumes that you original 16K packet is linear. Is that
always the case?

> skb_trim(skb2, dg_len - crc_len);
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1) Which buffer size does truesize represent, is it the total buffer or
> just the data related to the relevant skb?

Total buffer size (including the struct sk_buff).

> 2) If truesize is for the skb it is contained within should it be
> updated during the call to skb_trim?

No, because the the buffer/memory is still there. skb_trim just
sets the tail pointer and adjusts skb->len.

> 3) Why does the truesize default to 32960?

Probably because that's how much buffer space was actually allocated
for the original skb. When you cloned it, you inherited the truesize
since a clone is just the struct sk_buff that points into the data
of the original.

This is the very same problem that I ran into with SCTP since it
has similar code in it. You can play games with truesize manually,
but you have to be very careful here.

-vlad