Re: [RFC 2/2] x86_64: expand kernel stack to 16K

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed May 28 2014 - 12:13:56 EST

On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 9:08 AM, Steven Rostedt <rostedt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> What performance impact are you looking for? Now if the system is short
> on memory, it would probably cause issues in creating tasks.

It doesn't necessarily need to be short on memory, it could just be
fragmented. But a page order of 2 should still be ok'ish.

That said, this is definitely not a rc7 issue. I'd *much* rather
disable swap from direct reclaim, although that kind of patch too
would be a "can Minchan test it, we can put it in the next merge
window and then backport it if we don't have issues".

I see that Johannes already did a patch for that (and this really
_has_ come up before), although I'd skip the WARN_ON_ONCE() part
except for perhaps Minchan testing it.

Linus