[DRBD-user] Spontaneous access to the CDROM on two computers simultaneously

From: Maurice Volaski
Date: Thu May 29 2014 - 12:07:10 EST

Spontaneously and for no apparent reason, two computers displayed the
following message in their logs several times at the same time:

[55419.446442] Buffer I/O error on device hda, logical block 0
[55419.447381] hda: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady
SeekComplete Error }
[55419.447386] hda: command error: error=0x54 { AbortedCommand
LastFailedSense=0x05 }
[55419.447389] ide: failed opcode was: unknown
[55419.447391] end_request: I/O error, dev hda, sector 0

These two amd64-based computers are running kernel 2.6.16.1 with
drbd-0.7.19. (drbd is a network RAID module; it sends data from one
computer to the other continuously, but to its own /dev/drbdx
devices.)

hda is the CDROM drive, so it appears that both computers all on
their own volition attempted to access their CDROM drive for no
reason at and the same time, nonetheless. Since neither of them has a
CDROM in the drive at the time, I think this error makes sense if
something internally caused a real attempt to do that.

One computer is running a variety of file sharing services (netatalk,
samba, apache, mysql). Both of them are running heartbeat and drbd,
and those programs should account for the only communication between
two computers at the time of the messages, so I'm guessing that
because of that, drbd could at least theoretically triggered this
somehow.
--

Maurice Volaski, mvolaski@xxxxxxxxxxxx