Re: [RFC] oom, memcg: handle sysctl oom_kill_allocating_task while memcg oom happening

From: Michal Hocko
Date: Tue Jun 10 2014 - 07:53:01 EST

[More people to CC]
On Tue 10-06-14 14:35:02, Marian Marinov wrote:

> Hello,

Hi,

> a while back in 2012 there was a request for this functionality.
> oom, memcg: handle sysctl oom_kill_allocating_task while memcg oom
> happening
>
> This is the thread: https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/10/16/168
>
> Now we run a several machines with around 10k processes on each
> machine, using containers.
>
> Regularly we see OOM from within a container that causes performance
> degradation.

What kind of performance degradation and which parts of the system are
affected?

memcg oom killer happens outside of any locks currently so the only
bottleneck I can see is the per-cgroup container which iterates all
tasks in the group. Is this what is going on here?

> We are running 3.12.20 with the following OOM configuration and memcg
> oom enabled:
>
> vm.oom_dump_tasks = 0
> vm.oom_kill_allocating_task = 1
> vm.panic_on_oom = 0
>
> When OOM occurs we see very high numbers for the loadavg and the
> overall responsiveness of the machine degrades.

What is the system waiting for?

> During these OOM states the load of the machine gradualy increases
> from 25 up to 120 in the interval of 10minutes.
>
> Once we manually bring down the memory usage of a container(killing
> some tasks) the load drops down to 25 within 5 to 7 minutes.

So the OOM killer is not able to find a victim to kill?

> I read the whole thread from 2012 but I do not see the expected
> behavior that is described by the people that commented the issue.

Why do you think that killing the allocating task would be helpful in
your case?

> In this case, with real usage for this patch, would it be considered
> for inclusion?

I would still prefer to fix the real issue which is not clear from your
description yet.

--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs