Re: Possible netns creation and execution performance/scalability regression since v3.8 due to rcu callbacks being offloaded to multiple cpus

From: Eric W. Biederman
Date: Wed Jun 11 2014 - 16:56:59 EST

"Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 01:27:07PM -0500, Dave Chiluk wrote:

>> > Are the namespaces torn down and recreated one at a time, or is there some
>> > syscall, ioctl(), or whatever that allows bulk tear down and recreating?
>> >
>> > Thanx, Paul
>>
>> In the normal running case, the namespaces are created one at a time, as
>> new customers create a new set of VMs on the cloud.
>>
>> However, in the case of failover to a new neutron gateway the namespaces
>> are created all at once using the ip command (more or less serially).
>>
>> As far as I know there is no syscall or ioctl that allows bulk tear down
>> and recreation. if such a beast exists that might be helpful.
>
> The solution might be to create such a beast. I might be able to shave
> a bit of time off of this benchmark, but at the cost of significant
> increases in RCU's CPU consumption. A bulk teardown/recreation API could
> reduce the RCU grace-period overhead by several orders of magnitude by
> having a single RCU grace period cover a few thousand changes.
>
> This is why other bulk-change syscalls exist.
>
> Just out of curiosity, what syscalls does the ip command use?

You can look in iproute2 ip/ipnetns.c

But rought ip netns add does:

unshare(CLONE_NEWNET);
mkdir /var/run/netns/<name>
mount --bind /proc/self/ns/net /var/run/netns/<name>

I don't know if there is any sensible way to batch that work.

(The unshare gets you into copy_net_ns in net/core/net_namespace.c
and to find all of the code it can call you have to trace all
of the register_pernet_subsys and register_pernet_device calls).

At least for creation I would like to see if we can make all of the
rcu_callback synchronize_rcu calls go away. That seems preferable
to batching at creation time.

Eric