Re: Proposal to realize hot-add *several sections one time*

From: Zhang Zhen
Date: Wed Jun 11 2014 - 22:47:18 EST

On 2014/6/12 6:08, David Rientjes wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jun 2014, Zhang Zhen wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Now we can hot-add memory by
>>
>> % echo start_address_of_new_memory > /sys/devices/system/memory/probe
>>
>> Then, [start_address_of_new_memory, start_address_of_new_memory +
>> memory_block_size] memory range is hot-added.
>>
>> But we can only hot-add *one section one time* by this way.
>> Whether we can add an argument on behalf of the count of the sections to add ?
>> So we can can hot-add *several sections one time*. Just like:
>>

> Not necessarily true, it depends on sections_per_block. Don't believe
> Documentation/memory-hotplug.txt that suggests this is only for powerpc,
> x86 and sh allow this interface as well.
>
>> % echo start_address_of_new_memory count_of_sections > /sys/devices/system/memory/probe
>>
>> Then, [start_address_of_new_memory, start_address_of_new_memory +
>> count_of_sections * memory_block_size] memory range is hot-added.
>>
>> If this proposal is reasonable, i will send a patch to realize it.
>>

> The problem is knowing how much memory is being onlined so that you can
> definitively determine what count_of_sections should be. The number of
> pages per memory section depends on PAGE_SIZE and SECTION_SIZE_BITS which
> differ depending on the architectures that support this interface. So if
> you support count_of_sections, it would return errno even though you have
> onlined some sections.

Hum, sorry.
My expression is not right. The count of sections one time hot-added
depends on sections_per_block.

Now we are porting the memory-hotplug to arm.
But we can only hot-add *fixed number of sections one time* on particular architecture.

Whether we can add an argument on behalf of the count of the blocks to add ?

% echo start_address_of_new_memory count_of_blocks > /sys/devices/system/memory/probe

Then, [start_address_of_new_memory, start_address_of_new_memory + count_of_blocks * memory_block_size]
memory range is hot-added.

So user don't need execute several times of echo when they want to hot add multi-block size memory.

Any comments are welcome.

Best regards!