RE: [-next] Regression: ssh log in slowdown

From: David Laight
Date: Fri Jun 13 2014 - 06:06:50 EST

From: Geert Uytterhoeven
> Hi David,
>
> On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 10:49 AM, David Laight <David.Laight@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > From: Of Geert Uytterhoeven
> >> Note that I'm also using NFS root, which doesn't seem to be affected.
> >> I can happily run "ls -R /" on the serial console during the 10 s delay in ssh.
> >
> > Are you sure that the delay during ssh login isn't just
> > a reverse DNS timeout?
>
> Indeed, the ssh server sends a reverse DNS request twice, with 5s in between:
> Interestingly, I don't see the forward DNS request after that, which
> does happen in the good case.

The forwards request is probably just copying some strange code from 'rshd'
that tried to verify the reverse lookup by doing a forwards lookup on the
result.
That in itself used to cause us grief.
The RDNS would (correctly) generate host.bar.baz.co.uk, since the 'domain'
in etc/resolv.conf was bar.baz.co.uk the forwards lookup first tried
host.bar.baz.co.uk.bar.baz.co.uk then host.bar.baz.co.uk.baz.co.uk
one of which always timed out :-(
(When the 'search' command was added we could avoid the request that
timed out.)

David