Re: vdso feature requests from the Go people

From: Stijn Volckaert
Date: Sun Jun 15 2014 - 06:10:18 EST

Andy Lutomirski schreef op 13/06/2014 7:23:
On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 10:15 PM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 06/12/2014 09:36 PM, Andy Lutomirski wrote:

If we were to implement both, maybe we'd actually want to provide
something like:

struct vdso_entry {
unsigned long vdso_entry_struct_size; /* so we can add fields later on */
void *func;
unsigned int max_stack; /* zero if not known */
};

How different is this really from the .dynsym table -- other than that
you have to find the latter via the dynamic segment?

The hash part is just to speed up lookup...

As far as I know, there's no reliable way to just read the dynsym
table -- the thing doesn't have a specified length, which is what
broke Go in the first place.

Parsing the ELF dynamic tables is kind of annoyingly complicated, and
understanding the format is a real PITA -- the documentation I've been
able to find is outright terrible.

--Andy

Why does it need a specified length? It's pretty easy to find, the entries have a fixed length and the last entry in the table is NULLed out (i.e. the d_tag is DT_NULL).

Just look for the PT_DYNAMIC segment in the program headers and iterate over the fixed length Elf_Dyn entries to find what you're looking for.

As for ELF documentation, I've never had any problems understanding the
official specification:
http://refspecs.linuxbase.org/elf/elf.pdf

--Stijn