Re: perf: Add support for full Intel event lists v6

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Sun Jun 15 2014 - 12:09:45 EST

On Sun, Jun 15, 2014 at 10:03:09PM +0900, Namhyung Kim wrote:
> Hi Hagen,
>
> 2014-06-14 (í), 22:49 +0200, Hagen Paul Pfeifer:
> > Probably too late, but IMHO the subcommand "download" is unhappy
> > named. What is "downloaded"? traces? Python helper libs for
> > perf-python support, I don't know it. What about "events-download",
> > "events-database", ...
>
> Hmm.. maybe we can add support something like above later - "perf
> download event" or "perf download blabla"

Sorry I think that's all overdesigning. Designing for unknown
possibilities is usually a bad idea.

In the unlikely case that something else was ever downloaded a new command
can be added.

> But I have a different idea - leaving perf download as a plumbing tool,
> and add --download option into the perf list to call it internally.

That would be syntactical vinegar.

> Maybe it can automatically download event file if it didn't find the
> file in the local cache.

That wasn't done intentionally, so that people who don't want
network accesses don't get them.

-Andi