Re: [Nouveau] REGRESSION: Kernel PANIC 8777c5c11764d8336d8270f96778158c34c92108 - drm/nouveau/dp: probe dpcd to determine connectedness

From: Ben Skeggs
Date: Tue Jun 17 2014 - 01:39:24 EST

On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 3:33 PM, Thomas Glanzmann <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello Ben,
>
>> Are you able to double-check that bisect? I'm not at all sure how
>> that particular commit could trigger the issue you're seeing. Some of
>> the others, certainly. It might be worth trying a couple of times
>> before marking something as "good", in case there's a timing aspect to
>> the problem.
>
> please CC me, otherwise I might not see your message. The bug is very
> clear, I boot my machine, the screen turns black as soon as the X server
> is booted and the system does not ping anymore. I rebooted several times
> before the bisect and the bug always hit me. For my taste the offending
> commit is to large. So maybe I can split it in multiple smaller commits
> and than debug it. However I'm currently out of the office, so maybe
> tomorrow. If you do any progress on this, please CC me in order to avoid
> duplicate effort.
8777c5c11764d8336d8270f96778158c34c92108 (which is mentioned as the
first bad commit above...) is a tiny commit, so I have no idea what
you mean by "too large for your taste".

In any case, I encountered the oops myself earlier (absolutely nothing
to do with that commit) and fixed it here. I've sent it onto Dave for
the next -fixes merge, so hopefully it'll help your case too.

Thanks,
Ben.