Re: unparseable, undocumented /sys/class/drm/.../pstate

From: Greg KH
Date: Mon Jun 23 2014 - 12:36:19 EST

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 12:18:51PM -0400, Ilia Mirkin wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 12:07 PM, Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Could we just say that the format of this file is one-per-line of
> >>
> >> level: information-for-the-user
> >>
> >> And you can echo a level into it to switch to that level? That seems
> >> like a reasonable ABI to have... would be happy to throw it into a
> >> file somewhere... not sure where though.
> >
> > sysfs files are "one value per file", that's it. Do anything other than
> > that, and it can not be in sysfs, sorry.
>
> I think that's a little inconsistent. There are *tons* of files in
> sysfs with multiple values. For example "local_cpulist" which contains
> the string "0-3" for me, the per-connector "modes" file which has a
> list of modes supported, and a "resource" file which has a list of hex
> values (which probably have something to do with PCI resources?). [I
> purposely picked values coming from different parts of the kernel not
> to focus on one subsystem...]

A list of valid "values" that a file can be in is fine if you just then
write one value back to that file. That's the one exception, but a
minor one given the huge number of sysfs files. Other than that, if you
know of exceptions to that rule, please point them out and I will be
glad to yell at the developers.

PCI device resources are binary sysfs files, which are just pass-through
files from the firmware/device to userspace, with no parsing done in the
kernel. So that's just a single 'value' as well.

greg k-h