Re: 3.15.2 build error on AMD64

From: Nick Warne
Date: Mon Jun 30 2014 - 14:51:10 EST

On 30/06/14 14:26, Borislav Petkov wrote:
On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 11:24:23PM +0200, Borislav Petkov wrote:
Btw, I thought you had that gcc 4.2.x from some distro or so. Because
if it is in some ancient distro, one could install it in kvm and test
and play with it.

Ok, I did dig out an ancient debian I had lying around here with gcc
4.1.2. The patch I pointed you at does really fix the issue. So all is
fine and solved now. :-)

Ummm, interesting.

But is it solved?

Suppose developer a.n.other submits a patch that works with his/her GCC version but doesn't with some other GCC version. I guess this will be picked up in GIT build tests, but that only then tells everybody to upgrade GCC or find a patch that fixes the issue (like you did, but I couldn't find it).

Is there a document or something that stipulates what is the minimum version[s] of GCC to build a particular version of the kernel? If not, perhaps this is something that needs addressing.

Nick
--
"A bug in the code is worth two in the documentation."
FSF Associate Member 5508