Re: [RFC] Cancellable MCS spinlock rework

From: Jason Low
Date: Thu Jul 03 2014 - 16:51:57 EST

On Thu, 2014-07-03 at 16:35 -0400, Waiman Long wrote:
> On 07/03/2014 02:34 PM, Jason Low wrote:
> >> Yeah, and currently struct rw_semaphore is the largest lock we have in
> >> the kernel. Shaving off space is definitely welcome.
> > Right, especially if it could help things like xfs inode.
> >

> I do see a point in reducing the size of the rwsem structure. However, I
> don't quite understand the point of converting pointers in the
> optimistic_spin_queue structure to atomic_t.

Converting the pointers in the optimistic_spin_queue to atomic_t would
mean we're fully operating on atomic operations instead of using the
potentially racy cmpxchg + ACCESS_ONCE stores on the pointers.

If we're in the process of using the CPU numbers in atomic_t, I thought
we might as well fix that as well since it has actually been shown to
result in lockups on some architectures. We can then avoid needing to
implement the tricky architecture workarounds for optimistic spinning.
Wouldn't that be a "nice-have"?

Jason