Re: Selling Points for MARS Light

From: Greg KH
Date: Fri Jul 04 2014 - 13:37:51 EST

On Fri, Jul 04, 2014 at 03:04:07PM +0200, Richard Weinberger wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 1:01 PM, Thomas Schöbel-Theuer
> <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi together,
> >
> > since not all people have attended my presentations on MARS Light, and
> > since probably not all are willing to click at links such as to the
> > presentation slides
> > https://github.com/schoebel/mars/blob/master/docu/MARS_LinuxTag2014.pdf?raw=true
> > , I will try to explain something which goes beyond the presentations,
> > but nevertheless I don't want to repeat too much from the slides.
> >
> > So the following is hopefully also interesting for people who attended
> > the presentations.
> >
> > My main selling point:
> >
> > To my knowledge, MARS Light is the only enterprise-grade opensource
> > solution constructed for mass replication of whole datacenters
> > (thousands to tenthousands of instances) over _long_ _distances_, aka
> > _geo-redundancy_.
>
> I think hch meant not a high level marketing-drone -ready design document
> by "explain and sell your design".
> We are interested in the real low level design ideas.
> i.e. Why do you need all syscalls exported?

Exactly, normally we don't care about any high-level things, I want to
know why you think you have to call remove within a kernel module when
no one else does that.

Also, I doubt you handle the namespace issue properly, but given that it
is impossible to review the 50+ patches as sent, it might be correct, or
might not, I don't know...

greg k-h