TIckless Timers On Laptops and Battery Enabled Devices

From: Nick Krause
Date: Tue Jul 08 2014 - 22:22:30 EST

I am been thinking , this is just a idea but can we enable the kernel
to be tick less for laptops when they are on battery. I don't have any
laptop on me to test but if
someone can test the battery on a tick less kernel versus non tick
less to see if it increases battery. It would be good if we can test
when it's in standby , high cpu usage
and average work to see if it's a good idea to enable a tick less
kernel for default when a user is on battery for laptops and perhaps
even get into the embedded boards
that run on battery and/or cellphones if it's a great help in
increasing battery. I will also be glad to help these features into
the mainline kernel if they are of use to saving
battery.
Cheers Nick