Re: Power-managing devices that are not of interest at some point in time

From: Dmitry Torokhov
Date: Wed Jul 16 2014 - 19:31:18 EST

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 4:23 PM, Bastien Nocera <hadess@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-07-17 at 01:33 +0200, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

Pretty much, although the devices would not listen to events
themselves but rather there will be an entity listening for various
events and requesting certain devices to quiesce themselves in
response for such events.

> <snip>
>> Well, is the scenario I described correct or not? If not, then what
>> exactly is the scenario you want to be able to handle?
>
> I don't expect devices to have to know about the lid status, no. Patrik
> might feel differently, but I think that all that's being asked is
> already possible through existing user-space mechanisms, it's just
> missing metadata to be able to implement it.

We are not planning on implementing the policy in kernel, that's
indeed task for userspace; but unless we bring in the heavy hammer of
forcibly unbinding drivers, we do not currently have universal
mechanism of quiescing devices.

Thanks,
Dmitry