Re: Power-managing devices that are not of interest at some point in time

From: Dmitry Torokhov
Date: Fri Jul 18 2014 - 19:16:59 EST

On Saturday, July 19, 2014 12:55:09 AM Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Saturday, July 19, 2014 12:19:39 AM Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> > > So that we do not need to handle cases like:
> > >
> > > - I am already in idle state and request comes to inhibit, what do I do
> > > (in
> >
> > > driver) or:
> > I'm not sure why being "suspended" or not matters here. The PM core
> > doesn't know what physical state the device is in anyway and the driver
> > or subsystem (or another layer such as ACPI) has to track that.
> >
> > Also it seems that it should be perfectly fine to ignore input from the
> > device without suspending it as well as it is perfectly fine to be
> > suspended while you are generally not ignoring the input (just because
> > there is no input at the moment, for example).
> >
> > Yes, it make sense to suspend the device when you know you'll ignore input
> > going forward, but then if the real goal is to prevent bogus input from
> > reaching applications, then this isn't a power management problem even.
>
> The area where it must interact with power management is wakeup, both remote
> wakeup at run time and wakeup from system suspend. In particular, there's
> the question whether or not a device ignoring its input should be regarded
> as a wakeup source.

I'd say no.

Anyway, even though it is very tempting to declare inhibit a "deeper" state of
runtime suspend maybe you are right and inhibit should really be separate from
PM and drivers would have to sort out all the possible state permutations.

Considering input devices:

input_open(): check if device is inhibited, if so do nothing. Otherwise try
waking up itself and parent (via pm_runtime_get_sync() on itself), this will
power up the device. Do additional configuration if needed.

input_close(): check if device is inhibited, if not do pm_runtime_put (_sync?
to make sure we power off properly and not leave device up and running? or
should we power down manually not waiting for runtime PM)?

inhibit(): check if device is opened, if opened do pm_runtime_put_sync().

uninhibit(): if device is opened do pm_runtime_get_sync(), let runtime PM
bring up the device. Do additional config if needed -> very similar to
input_open(), different condition.

runtime_suspend(): power down the device. If not inhibited enable as wakeup
source.

runtime_resume(): power up the device if device is opened and not inhibited.

system_suspend(): check if device is opened, not inhibited and not in
runtimesuspend already; power down.

system_resume(): power up the device if it is opened and not inhibited. I
guess it's OK to wake up device that shoudl be runtime-PM-idle since it will
go to back sleep shortly.

Ugh.. This is complicated...

Thanks,
Dmitry