HP Pavilion 11 x360 lockups on shutdown

From: Scott Ashcroft
Date: Sun Jul 20 2014 - 11:10:50 EST

Hi all,

I've got an HP Pavilion 11 x360 laptop which sometimes fails to boot and when it does boot will always hang on shutdown.
This seems to be a common issue on a bunch of newer HP laptops and there are quite a few reports in the various distro bug tracking systems.

I've worked out that the issue is with the dw_dmac module. If I rmmod it there's an instant lockup.
Blacklisting that module makes everything work correctly. Booting is reliable, shutdown and reboot work fine.

I'd like some advice on how this should be fixed:

I see that some very similar chipsets would cause the i2c_designware-pci driver to be loaded where as mine loads the platform device.

So is the correct fix to get some PCI ids and settings added to the PCI driver?

Or should I be looking to add a DMI based blacklist to stop the i2c bus being detected at all.

Or is this just a bug in the dw_dmac module. If so how can I get any debug out of it during the rmmod?

Cheers,
Scott