Re: Random panic in load_balance() with 3.16-rc

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Wed Jul 23 2014 - 07:30:29 EST

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 01:11:10PM +0200, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 10:45:46AM +0100, Dietmar Eggemann wrote:
> > Doesn't the picture showing the captured panic reveal more information.
> > Haven't seen it myself, I just saw Peter's reply to your email
>
> Its a general protection fault from somewhere in load_balance(), I send
> you the picture.
>
> It would help to get addr2line of the RIP I suppose.
>
> Michel provided a config, so lemme go try and build that, maybe my gcc
> will generate similar code to his and the function offset is enough
> clue.

So the code section says the faulting instruction is:

f3 a5

followed by:

48 89 c7 85 50 ff ff

or so.

My compiled code is 'different', the function is shorter, but there's a
f3 a5 somewhere not too far short of +d7 at +a8. I have (objdump -SD):

35a8: f3 a5 rep movsl %ds:(%rsi),%es:(%rdi)

for_each_cpu_and(i, sched_group_cpus(group), env->cpus) {
unsigned long capacity, capacity_factor, wl;
enum fbq_type rt;

rq = cpu_rq(i);
35aa: 48 c7 c1 00 00 00 00 mov $0x0,%rcx

And that's the only part that could possibly match.

That looks like the start of find_busiest_queue(). I'm not entirely sure
what the rep movsl is operating on, lemme try and figure that out.