Re: linux fsync behaviour

From: Anton Altaparmakov
Date: Fri Jul 25 2014 - 03:38:33 EST

Hi,

On 25 Jul 2014, at 02:17, Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 03:41:31PM -0700, yuanh wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Two file descriptors are pointing the same file. When fsync is called on
>> one fd, the data written by the other fd will also be flushed? We are using
>> linux XFS.
>
> Yes.

But beware of the common mistake of using fwrite + fsync which does not actually do what you intend at all and you must instead use fwrite + fflush + fsync... If you are using write(2) then just fsync is obviously fine.

Best regards,

Anton
University of Cambridge Information Services, Roger Needham Building
7 JJ Thomson Avenue, Cambridge, CB3 0RB, UK