Race condition between userland and USB device attachment

From: Sergey Klyaus
Date: Fri Jul 25 2014 - 10:09:00 EST

Hello.

I am currently working on a project with Thin clients with Citrix Receiver 13 for Linux and encountered interesting problem with USB device redirection.
ctxusb/ctxusbd process from Citrix Receiver are using inotify mechanism to monitor /dev/bus/usb filesystem, and when device arrives, tries to open it, but get ENODEV status:
Jul 25 11:36:13 myaut-desktop ctxusbd[2664]: Failed to open device: No such device
Jul 25 11:36:13 myaut-desktop ctxusb[2751]: Failed to open device 001:003 (error 19 - No such device), bad id?

It is caused by design of device_add() function: it calls devtmpfs_create_node before bus_add_device. Here are sequence of events:
1. device_add() calls devtmpfs_create_node(). That leads to inotify event that.
2. ctxusb is awoken because inotify event arises, and calls ctxusbd daemon.
3. ctxusbd daemon opens /dev/bus/usb/new-device, so usbdev_open() routine is called
4. usbdev_open() calls usbdev_lookup_by_devt(). Because device is not yet attached to "usb bus", it returns NULL, and thus usbdev_open() returns -ENODEV
5. Finally, device_add() calls bus_add_device(), and all subsequent calls of usbdev_open() will succeed. However, ctxusb/ctxusbd already reported an error and abandon device. User is unsatisfied.

I was able to reproduce that issue on Ubuntu 10.04 with 2.6.32 and 3.13 kernels.
However, it only occur on uni-processor systems (!)

I see three ways to solve that issue:
1. Leave it to userland applications (i.e. using loop with retries and timeouts). However, I feel that it is a kernel issue (application is notified before device is ready).
2. Call bus_add_device() before devtmpfs_create_node(). Very rough, and probably breaks a lot of other kernel code.
3. Wait in usbdev_open() until reconfiguration is finished (i.e. by using some global lock between usb_new_device() and usbdev_open(), or add completion and special state USB_STATE_CONNECTING to a device).

P.S. Since I aren't subscribed to mailing list, could you add me in CC?

Thanks in advance.
Best Regards, Sergey.