Re: [RFC] readdirplus implementations: xgetdents vs dirreadahead syscalls

From: Abhijith Das
Date: Mon Jul 28 2014 - 08:22:39 EST

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Dave Chinner" <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I don't see how the sorting of the inode reads in disk block order can be
accomplished in userland without knowing the fs-specific topology. From my
observations, I've seen that the performance gain is the most when we can
order the reads such that seek times are minimized on rotational media.

I have not tested my patches against SSDs, but my guess would be that the
performance impact would be minimal, if any.

Cheers!
--Abhi