Re: Power-managing devices that are not of interest at some point in time

From: Patrik Fimml
Date: Mon Jul 28 2014 - 16:01:23 EST

On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 04:16:50PM -0700, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> [...]
> Anyway, even though it is very tempting to declare inhibit a "deeper" state of
> runtime suspend maybe you are right and inhibit should really be separate from
> PM and drivers would have to sort out all the possible state permutations.
>
> Considering input devices:
>
> input_open(): check if device is inhibited, if so do nothing. Otherwise try
> waking up itself and parent (via pm_runtime_get_sync() on itself), this will
> power up the device. Do additional configuration if needed.
>
> input_close(): check if device is inhibited, if not do pm_runtime_put (_sync?
> to make sure we power off properly and not leave device up and running? or
> should we power down manually not waiting for runtime PM)?
>
> inhibit(): check if device is opened, if opened do pm_runtime_put_sync().
>
> uninhibit(): if device is opened do pm_runtime_get_sync(), let runtime PM
> bring up the device. Do additional config if needed -> very similar to
> input_open(), different condition.
>
> runtime_suspend(): power down the device. If not inhibited enable as wakeup
> source.
>
> runtime_resume(): power up the device if device is opened and not inhibited.
>
> system_suspend(): check if device is opened, not inhibited and not in
> runtimesuspend already; power down.
>
> system_resume(): power up the device if it is opened and not inhibited. I
> guess it's OK to wake up device that shoudl be runtime-PM-idle since it will
> go to back sleep shortly.
>
> Ugh.. This is complicated...

There might be more elegant ways to implement this. It might make sense
to factor out power transitions. One could have a function that derives
the appropriate power state given the circumstances (i.e.
suspend/inhibit/runtime suspend) and then performs the needed
transition. This is something one would have to see when actually
implementing this, I might experiment with this approach a bit.

Regards,
Patrik