Re: 3.16-rcX crashes on resume from Suspend-To-RAM

From: Zhang Rui
Date: Mon Aug 04 2014 - 22:44:25 EST

Hi, Markus,

On Mon, 2014-08-04 at 09:06 -0700, Markus Gutschke wrote:
> Thanks for checking in. And no, I have not heard from Zhang since my
> last e-mail. I suspect he is still working on finding a solution.

Yes, I was trying to find out what differences commit
b04c58b1ed26317bfb4b33d3a2d16377fc6acd0f brings, and why it breaks
suspend. But so far, I didn't make any progress. Thus I do need your
help to do more test.

> But
> you are of course right, reverting the patch in the meantime might be
> a good idea. I would love to be able to suspend my laptop again. But I
> defer to Zhang for the final decision. As long as it gets fixed
> eventually, I can personally live with a few weeks of delay while
> things get worked out. And of course, as offered before, I'll run
> whatever tests Zhang asks me to do.

Great. Thanks for your help, please
1. make sure your kernel is built with CONFIG_PM_DEBUG and
CONFIG_PM_TRACE_RTC set.
2. in b04c58b1ed26317bfb4b33d3a2d16377fc6acd0f kernel, try "echo devices
> /sys/power/pm_test && echo mem > /sys/power/states", and wait for 10
seconds and see if the system can be resumed automatically.
3. if the test fails, please try a normal suspend, and reboot the kernel
ASAP after the hang, better in one minute, and then attach the dmesg
output after boot. Hopefully, we can find out which driver breaks your
machine by the suspend/resume trace feature.

thanks,
rui