Re: patch "firmware loader: allow disabling of udev as firmware loader" added to driver-core tree

From: Takashi Iwai
Date: Wed Aug 06 2014 - 08:24:47 EST

At Wed, 6 Aug 2014 13:24:37 +0200,
Jean-Michel Hautbois wrote:

> >> Well, when this function is called, my rootfs is not yet mounted (I
> >> have a dedicated partition on a SDCard)...
> >> So I probably missed a step in order to get /lib/firmware before / is
> >> mounted... ?
> >
> > Yeah, possibly :) Maybe you did put /lib/firmware/* into initrd in
> > the earlier tests?
>
> Nope, it failed and when / was mounted, it was called again and used
> the firmware thanks to udev.
> This is the CONFIG_FW_LOADER_USER_HELPER config which makes that now, right ?

Not really. The user helper is invoked when
CONFIG_FW_LOADER_USER_HELPER_FALLBACK is set. The exception is the
case of non-udev f/w handling like dell-rbu (which passes
FW_ACTION_NOHOTPLUG). Then the user mode helper is used as fallback
even if CONFIG_FW_LOADER_USER_HELPER_FALLBACK isn't set.

> But how can I have /lib/firmware in my initrd, that is the question I
> need to answer now :).

Pretty depends on how to create initrd. But most programs look up the
MODULE_FIRMWARE() entries of the modules to be loaded in initrd and
put them automatically. And it's missing in lattice-ecp3-config
driver...

Takashi