Re: BUG: early intel microcode update violating alignment rules

From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
Date: Mon Aug 11 2014 - 14:18:40 EST

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014, at 11:51, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> We could put a buffer in the initdata region (we really could use an
> initbss region!) or in the brk.

That sounds much better than the hideous crap I came up with. The
buffer would need to be at least 64KiB in size to be on the safe side.
The largest public microcode update ATM is 23KiB.

I am not sure if we might need more than 64KiB: the Intel SDM mentions
that in real mode the update data must not cross a segment boundary, and
also must not exceed a segment limit. I am a bit rusty on real mode,
but doesn't that mean, in practice, that microcode update data size is
limited in size to 64KiB?

Henrique Holschuh