Re: BUG: early intel microcode update violating alignment rules

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Mon Aug 11 2014 - 14:53:13 EST

Borislav Petkov wrote:
On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 10:16:13AM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
On Mon, 11 Aug 2014, Borislav Petkov wrote:
On Sat, Aug 09, 2014 at 08:19:11PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
Is there a way to fix this in the kernel for the BSP?

I think you're looking at this the wrong way around. :-) The thing that
needs fixing is the SDM since some CPUs seem to accept 16-byte unaligned
microcode just fine.

I often wonder how much of the Intel SDM is really a fairy tale... it
certainly has enough legends from times long past inside ;-) But just like
old stories, should you forget all about them, they sometimes grow fangs
back and get you when you're least prepared.

Now, seriously, we're neither aligning the thing, nor checking any of it for
alignment, so userspace can mess with us at will. Unless it is trying to be
actively malicious, we'll get 4-byte alignment out of userspace for the data
inside the early initramfs (assuming the use of the common cpio tools: GNU
cpio and GNU pax), but that's it.

I can easily propose fixes to reject incorrectly aligned data (and will do
so), but you *really* don't want to know the kind of crap I came up with to
try to align the microcode update for the BSP: Standard Lovecraftian Mythos
Safety Procedures apply! So I am turning to you for ideas...

It seems to me you're looking for issues where there are none. We simply
have to ask Intel people what's with the 16-byte alignment and fix
the SDM, apparently. If the processor accepts the non-16-byte-aligned
update, why do you care?

Because if the requirement is enforced in some future revision, and updates then fail in some insane way, the vendor is justified in claiming "I told you so."

Don't suppose you have anything in memory right after the microcode which you could put on the stack (15 bytes) slide the image up into alignment, load it, and put everything back. Haven't looked at the code or data, just tossing out an idea I used for something else back when.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>