Re: linux-next: problem importing the akpm-current tree

From: Stephen Rothwell
Date: Wed Aug 13 2014 - 20:35:56 EST

Hi Andrew,

On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 10:27:54 +1000 Stephen Rothwell <sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> While importing mmotm 2014-08-13-14-29, I get the following:
>
> $ git am --patch-format=mbox ../mmotm/broken-out/drivers-gpu-drm-nouveau-fix-build.patch
> Applying: drivers/gpu/drm/nouveau: fix build
> error: patch failed: drivers/gpu/drm/nouveau/core/include/nvif/unpack.h:1
> error: drivers/gpu/drm/nouveau/core/include/nvif/unpack.h: patch does not apply
> Patch failed at 0001 drivers/gpu/drm/nouveau: fix build
>
> the problem is that the files altered by that patch are symlinks in the
> git tree and the patch tries to turn them into real files with #includes
> of the symlink target.
>
> I skipped the patch and I guess your problem arose from applying a git
> patch to a non git tree which created real files whose contents were
> just the symlink target names.

Yeah, its your origin.patch ... which is produced by git and includes
the symlinks (search for "new file mode 120000"), but quilt applied
with patch. I don't actually apply that patch when I import your tree,
I merge the appropriate part of Linus's tree and so in this case get
the actual symlinks.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx