Re: Dual-channel DSI

From: Tomi Valkeinen
Date: Thu Aug 14 2014 - 08:59:25 EST

On 08/08/14 13:14, Thierry Reding wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 08, 2014 at 09:26:17AM +0200, Andrzej Hajda wrote:

I once almost had to write a driver for similar panel, but luckily the project
was canceled. =)

Here are some thoughts:

If we had a panel which is controlled via i2c, but receives the video stream
from two DSI interfaces, I think the DT would look something like:

&i2c1 {
display@48 {
compatible = "sharp,lq101r1sx01";
reg = <0x48>;

ports {
port@0 {
reg = <0>;
lcd_in0: endpoint {
remote-endpoint = <&dsi1_out_ep>;
};
};

port@1 {
reg = <1>;
lcd_in1: endpoint {
remote-endpoint = <&dsi2_out_ep>;
};
};
};
};
};

&dsi1 {
port {
dsi1_out_ep: endpoint {
remote-endpoint = <&lcd_in0>;
lanes = <0 1 2 3 4 5>;
};
};

};

&dsi2 {
port {
dsi2_out_ep: endpoint {
remote-endpoint = <&lcd_in1>;
lanes = <0 1 2 3 4 5>;
};
};
};

And similarly, if the panel would be controlled via DSI, but only via one DSI
interface, I think the DT would look quite similar, except the "display" node
would be a child of "dsi1".

Now, a panel controlled via two DSI interfaces. I have to say the design sounds
rather nasty. What were the HW people thinking about? I guess you are _sure_
that you cannot do the configuration via just a single interface? =)

If you really need the control via two DSI interfaces, I'd suggest something
like this:

&dsi1 {
port {
dsi1_out_ep: endpoint {
remote-endpoint = <&lcd_in0>;
lanes = <0 1 2 3 4 5>;
};
};

display {
compatible = "sharp,lq101r1sx01";

secondary = <&panel_secondary>;

port {
lcd_in0: endpoint {
remote-endpoint = <&dsi1_out_ep>;
};
};
};
};

&dsi2 {
port {
dsi2_out_ep: endpoint {
remote-endpoint = <&lcd_in1>;
lanes = <0 1 2 3 4 5>;
};
};

panel_secondary: display {
compatible = "sharp,lq101r1sx01-secondary";

port {
lcd_in1: endpoint {
remote-endpoint = <&dsi2_out_ep>;
};
};
};
};

I guess the above was already more or less presented in the thread, but I
didn't see it written out.

So there would two two devices, a master and a slave, and in the driver side
the slave would not do anything by itself.

Tomi