Re: Issue with commit 33c133cc7598e60976a phy: IRQ cannot be shared

From: christophe leroy
Date: Fri Aug 15 2014 - 05:10:30 EST

Le 14/08/2014 13:03, Sergei Shtylyov a écrit :
Hello.

On 8/14/2014 10:31 AM, leroy christophe wrote:

I have an hardware with two ethernet interfaces, and with the two PHYs inside
the same component INTEL LXT973 which has only one interrupt.
I also have another hardware with two ethernet interfaces and two independant
PHYs. But the two PHYs are wired to the same interrupt.
This is working perfectly up to Linux 3.12.

Hm, I'm surprised it works. Are you sure you're getting interrupts from both PHYs? Because if both Ethernet controllers are active simultaneously, only the first registered PHY IRQ handler should get all the interrupts.
Yes it works. Why should only the first one get the interrupts ? handle_irq_event_percpu() (from kernel/irq/handle.c, extract below) calls all handlers regardless of whether they answer IRQ_NONE or IRQ_HANDLED. The break applies to the switch(), not to the while(). So all handlers are called.

irqreturn_t
handle_irq_event_percpu(struct irq_desc *desc, struct irqaction *action)
{
irqreturn_t retval = IRQ_NONE;
unsigned int flags = 0, irq = desc->irq_data.irq;

do {
[...]
switch (res) {
case IRQ_WAKE_THREAD:
[...]
case IRQ_HANDLED:
flags |= action->flags;
break;

default:
break;
}

retval |= res;
action = action->next;
} while (action);

But since your commit, introduced in Linux 3.13, my interfaces don't work
anymore as the second PHYs can't register IRQ.

Strange too, the phylib should use polling in case request_irq() fails.
Well, you are right, I didn't check closely enough, was assuming they didn't register due to the messages saying interrupt mismatch.

Reading the commit log, I can't really understand the reason for the change.

The shared IRQ handler should check for IRQ from its device and return IRQ_NONE if there's no IRQ active; phy_interrupt() doesn't do that (this is pushed to the workqueue).
Well, as seen above, this has no impact on whether other handlers are called or not.

Is it really worth it, and therefore how shall my case be handled ?

PHY IRQs are not necessary for the phylib state machine.
However, polling is less efficient than IRQs. It wastes CPU and link loss detection is slower.

Christophe

WBR, Sergei

BR
Christophe