Re: Overriding -Werror

From: Brian Norris
Date: Tue Aug 19 2014 - 14:43:21 EST

On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 06:15:07AM -0700, Andi Kleen wrote:
> Brian Norris <computersforpeace@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> >
> > 4. better ideas?
>
> Just send patches to remove -Werror in all architectures
> as a tree sweep (and anywhere else where someone misguided add it)

I cited at least one example in which this was attempted but rejected.
(Or at least, it was semi-deliberately stalled.)

> Having -Werror anywhere in a shipping release is just plainly a bug,
> as it makes it often impossible to build on newer gcc versions.

I also feel it is misguided, for other reasons. But there are at least a
few who seem to disagree. They seem to feel it is important/necessary
for enforcing good practices during development. I'm not sure how to
bridge the disagreement, other than to provide workarounds for disabling
-Werror.

I could try sending -Werror removal patches, but I'm not confident that
will go over well.

Brian