Re: Autoselecting SPI for MEDIA_SUBDRV_AUTOSELECT?

From: Antti Palosaari
Date: Fri Aug 22 2014 - 11:25:56 EST

On 08/22/2014 06:24 PM, Jeff Mahoney wrote:
On Fri Aug 22 11:17:22 2014, Antti Palosaari wrote:
Moikka!

On 08/22/2014 06:00 PM, Jeff Mahoney wrote:

Hi Antti -

Commit e4462ffc160 ([media] Kconfig: sub-driver auto-select SPI bus)
enables CONFIG_SPI globally for a driver that won't even be enabled in
many cases.

Is there a reason USB_MSI2500 doesn't select SPI instead of
MEDIA_SUBDRV_AUTOSELECT?

Nothing but I decided to set it similarly as I2C, another more common
bus. IIRC same was for I2C_MUX too.

You could still disable media subdriver autoselect and then disable
SPI and select all the media drivers (excluding MSSi2500) manually.

I have feeling that media auto-select was added to select everything
needed for media.

Ok, that makes sense. I suppose I'll still need to enable SPI just for
this device and disable every other SPI device anyway. I'll live.

See drivers/media/Kconfig :

config MEDIA_SUBDRV_AUTOSELECT
bool "Autoselect ancillary drivers (tuners, sensors, i2c, frontends)"
depends on MEDIA_ANALOG_TV_SUPPORT || MEDIA_DIGITAL_TV_SUPPORT || MEDIA_CAMERA_SUPPORT || MEDIA_SDR_SUPPORT
depends on HAS_IOMEM
select I2C
select I2C_MUX
select SPI
default y
help
By default, a media driver auto-selects all possible ancillary
devices such as tuners, sensors, video encoders/decoders and
frontends, that are used by any of the supported devices.

This is generally the right thing to do, except when there
are strict constraints with regards to the kernel size,
like on embedded systems.

Use this option with care, as deselecting ancillary drivers which
are, in fact, necessary will result in the lack of the needed
functionality for your device (it may not tune or may not have
the needed demodulators).

If unsure say Y.

regards
Antti