[ANNOUNCE] Jailhouse 0.1 released

From: Jan Kiszka
Date: Fri Aug 29 2014 - 08:41:44 EST

After its publication about 10 months ago, the Jailhouse partitioning
hypervisor for Linux [1] reached an important first milestone: all major
features required to use Jailhouse on Intel x86 CPUs are now available.
We are marking this point with a first release tag, v0.1.

This release particularly means full exploitation of VT-d DMA and
interrupt remapping to isolate assigned PCI devices from the hypervisor
and foreign cells. Moreover, the usability of Jailhouse was greatly
improved by the introduction and continuous extension of a generator for
system configuration files. Finally, a framework for writing basic cell
applications is available now. With a few lines of C code you can set up
timer interrupts, read clocks or configure PCI devices for the use in
simple bare-metal real-time applications.

The new release can be downloaded from

It's easiest to try out in a virtual environment provided by QEMU/KVM,
see the included README. The braver ones can pick a real compatible
machine and let "jailhouse config create" provide a (generally) working
configuration. Be warned that real hardware tend to require some manual
post-processing of configuration files, for the demo cells or even the

Check the project homepage at

for the git repository, links to the mailing list and further
information. Don't hesitate to contact the development community on
questions, problems or suggestions.

There is still a bit work ahead to reach a version 1.0. In the near
future, we will look into integrating recently published contributions
of new architectures like AMD64 [1] and ARM 32-bit [2]. An inter-cell
communication mechanism will also be merged soon. Several features
particularly important for the use in safety-critical scenarios have
been identified and are being developed now.

Enabling Jailhouse as a certifiable component in safety-related systems
is our primary goal, though we are not excluding other use case like in
telecommunication, high-speed real-time control or scenarios we haven't
even thought of yet.

Last but not least: Many thanks to all who contributed code, reviews,
comments or sponsoring to the project! Your input was already very
valuable for the progress of Jailhouse. Keep it up!

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.kvm.devel/116825
[2] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.jailhouse/601
[3] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.jailhouse/779

Siemens AG, Corporate Technology, CT RTC ITP SES-DE