Re: For review: user_namespace(7) man page

From: Eric W. Biederman
Date: Sat Aug 30 2014 - 17:53:38 EST

"Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)" <mtk.manpages@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hello Eric et al.,
>
> For various reasons, my work on the namespaces man pages
> fell off the table a while back. Nevertheless, the pages have
> been close to completion for a while now, and I recently restarted,
> in an effort to finish them. As you also noted to me f2f, there have
> been recently been some small namespace changes that you may affect
> the content of the pages. Therefore, I'll take the opportunity to
> send the namespace-related pages out for further (final?) review.
>
> So, here, I start with the user_namespaces(7) page, which is shown
> in rendered form below, with source attached to this mail. I'll
> send various other pages in follow-on mails.
>
> Review comments/suggestions for improvements / bug fixes welcome.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Michael
>
> ==
>
> NAME
> user_namespaces - overview of Linux user_namespaces
>
> DESCRIPTION
> For an overview of namespaces, see namespaces(7).
>
> User namespaces isolate security-related identifiers and
> attributes, in particular, user IDs and group IDs (see credenâ
> tials(7), the root directory, keys (see keyctl(2)), and capabiliâ
> ties (see capabilities(7)). A process's user and group IDs can
> be different inside and outside a user namespace. In particular,
> a process can have a normal unprivileged user ID outside a user
> namespace while at the same time having a user ID of 0 inside the
> namespace; in other words, the process has full privileges for
> operations inside the user namespace, but is unprivileged for
> operations outside the namespace.
>
> Nested namespaces, namespace membership
> User namespaces can be nested; that is, each user namespaceâ
> except the initial ("root") namespaceâhas a parent user namesâ
> pace, and can have zero or more child user namespaces. The parâ
> ent user namespace is the user namespace of the process that creâ
> ates the user namespace via a call to unshare(2) or clone(2) with
> the CLONE_NEWUSER flag.
>
> The kernel imposes (since version 3.11) a limit of 32 nested levâ
> els of user namespaces. Calls to unshare(2) or clone(2) that
> would cause this limit to be exceeded fail with the error EUSERS.
>
> Each process is a member of exactly one user namespace. A
> process created via fork(2) or clone(2) without the CLONE_NEWUSER
> flag is a member of the same user namespace as its parent.
^ single-threaded

Because of chroot and other things multi-threaded processes are not
allowed to join a user namespace. For the documentation just saying
single-threaded sounds like enough here.

> [...]
> Note that because the caller no longer has capabilities in its
> original user namespace after a call to setns(2), it is not posâ
> sible for a process to reset its "securebits" flags while retainâ
> ing its user namespace membership by using a pair of setns(2)
> calls to move to another user namespace and then return to its
> original user namespace.
>
> Having a capability inside a user namespace permits a process to
> perform operations (that require privilege) only on resources
> governed by that namespace. The rules for determining whether or
> not a process has a capability in a particular user namespace are
> as follows:
>
> 1. A process has a capability inside a user namespace if it is a
> member of that namespace and it has the capability in its
> effective capability set. A process can gain capabilities in
> its effective capability set in various ways. For example, it
> may execute a set-user-ID program or an executable with assoâ
> ciated file capabilities. In addition, a process may gain
> capabilities via the effect of clone(2), unshare(2), or
> setns(2), as already described.
>
> 2. If a process has a capability in a user namespace, then it has
> that capability in all child (and further removed descendant)
> namespaces as well.
>
> 3. When a user namespace is created, the kernel records the
> effective user ID of the creating process as being the "owner"
> of the namespace. A process that resides in the parent of the
> user namespace and whose effective user ID matches the owner
> of the namespace has all capabilities in the namespace. By
> virtue of the previous rule, this means that the process has
> all capabilities in all further removed descendant user namesâ
> paces as well.
>
> Interaction of user namespaces and other types of namespaces
> Starting in Linux 3.8, unprivileged processes can create user
> namespaces, and mount, PID, IPC, network, and UTS namespaces can
> be created with just the CAP_SYS_ADMIN capability in the caller's
> user namespace.
>
> If CLONE_NEWUSER is specified along with other CLONE_NEW* flags
> in a single clone(2) or unshare(2) call, the user namespace is
> guaranteed to be created first, giving the child (clone(2)) or
> caller (unshare(2)) privileges over the remaining namespaces creâ
> ated by the call. Thus, it is possible for an unprivileged callâ
> er to specify this combination of flags.
>
> When a new IPC, mount, network, PID, or UTS namespace is created
> via clone(2) or unshare(2), the kernel records the user namespace
> of the creating process against the new namespace. (This associâ
> ation can't be changed.) When a process in the new namespace
> subsequently performs privileged operations that operate on
> global resources isolated by the namespace, the permission checks
> are performed according to the process's capabilities in the user
> namespace that the kernel associated with the new namespace.

Restrictions on mount namespaces.

- A mount namespace has a owner user namespace. A mount namespace whose
owner user namespace is different than the owerner user namespace of
it's parent mount namespace is considered a less privileged mount
namespace.

- When creating a less privileged mount namespace shared mounts are
reduced to slave mounts. This ensures that mappings performed in less
privileged mount namespaces will not propogate to more privielged
mount namespaces.

- Mounts that come as a single unit from more privileged mount are
locked together and may not be separated in a less privielged mount
namespace.

- The mount flags readonly, nodev, nosuid, noexec, and the mount atime
settings when propogated from a more privielged to a less privileged
mount namespace become locked, and may not be changed in the less
privielged mount namespace.

- (As of 3.18-rc1 (in todays Al Viros vfs.git#for-next tree)) A file or
directory that is a mountpoint in one namespace that is not a mount
point in another namespace, may be renamed, unlinked, or rmdired in
the mount namespace in which it is not a mount namespace if the
ordinary permission checks pass.

Previously attemping to rmdir, unlink or rename a file or directory
that was a mount point in another mount namespace would result in
-EBUSY. This behavior had technical problems of enforcement (nfs)
and resulted in a nice denial of servial attack against more
privileged users. (Aka preventing individual files from being updated
by bind mounting on top of them).

> [...]
> namespace of the process pid to the user namespace of the process
> that opened uid_map (but see a qualification to this point
> below). In other words, processes that are in different user
> namespaces will potentially see different values when reading
> from a particular uid_map file, depending on the user ID mappings
> for the user namespaces of the reading processes.
>
> Each line in the uid_map file specifies a 1-to-1 mapping of a
> range of contiguous user IDs between two user namespaces. (When
> a user namespace is first created, this file is empty.) The
> specification in each line takes the form of three numbers delimâ
> ited by white space. The first two numbers specify the starting
> user ID in each of the two user namespaces. The third number
> specifies the length of the mapped range. In detail, the fields
> are interpreted as follows:
>
> (1) The start of the range of user IDs in the user namespace of
> the process pid.
>
> (2) The start of the range of user IDs to which the user IDs
> specified by field one map. How field two is interpreted
> depends on whether the process that opened uid_map and the
> process pid are in the same user namespace, as follows:
>
> a) If the two processes are in different user namespaces:
> field two is the start of a range of user IDs in the user
> namespace of the process that opened uid_map.
>
> b) If the two processes are in the same user namespace: field
> two is the start of the range of user IDs in the parent
> user namespace of the process pid. This case enables the
> opener of uid_map (the common case here is opening
> /proc/self/uid_map) to see the mapping of user IDs into
> the user namespace of the process that created this user
> namespace.
>
> (3) The length of the range of user IDs that is mapped between
> the two user namespaces.
>
> System calls that return user IDs (group IDs)âfor example,
> getuid(2), getgid(2), and the credential fields in the structure
> returned by stat(2)âreturn the user ID (group ID) mapped into the
> caller's user namespace.
>
> When a process accesses a file, its user and group IDs are mapped
> into the initial user namespace for the purpose of permission
> checking and assigning IDs when creating a file. When a process
> retrieves file user and group IDs via stat(2), the IDs are mapped
> in the opposite direction, to produce values relative to the
> process user and group ID mappings.
>
> The initial user namespace has no parent namespace, but, for conâ
> sistency, the kernel provides dummy user and group ID mapping
> files for this namespace. Looking at the uid_map file (gid_map
> is the same) from a shell in the initial namespace shows:
>
> $ cat /proc/$$/uid_map
> 0 0 4294967295
>
> This mapping tells us that the range starting at user ID 0 in
> this namespace maps to a range starting at 0 in the (nonexistent)
> parent namespace, and the length of the range is the largest

Which deliberately leaves 4294967295 32bit (-1) unmapped. (uid_t)-1 is
used in several interfaces (like setreuid) as a way to specify no uid
leaving it unmapped and unusuable guarantees that there will be no
confusion when using those kernel methods.

Eric