Re: PROBLEM: bindings for drivers/mfd/twl4030-power.c

From: Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
Date: Mon Sep 01 2014 - 12:54:35 EST

Hi,

Am 25.08.2014 um 23:26 schrieb Tony Lindgren:

> * Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> [140817 08:46]:
>> I am trying to make ti,use_poweroff work on 3.17-rc1 for the GTA04 board.
>> Poweroff was broken for a while and I found that the driver isn't loaded at all.
>>
>> It appears to me that commit e7cd1d1eb16fcdf53001b926187a82f1f3e1a7e6
>> did rename the compatible entry from "ti,twl4030-power" to "ti,twl4030-power-reset"
>> but this was not documented in the bindings and of course our DT does not
>> match.
>>
>> Even your commit message talks about "ti,twl4030-power" although I can't find it
>> in the code.
>
> Hmm sorry did I accidentally remove ti,twl4030-power? If so, that should
> be added back for sure. Do you have a patch for that already?

No, I have only updated our device tree because I don't know if it really should
be added back or not.

As you say the "ti,twl4030-power" does not configure anything. So what
is it good for?

>> Are "ti,twl4030-power" and "ti,twl4030-power-reset" doing the same?
>
> No, they are separate where ti,twl4030-power does not configure the
> twl4030 in any way where ti,twl4030-power-reset configures the warm
> reset sequence.

Yes, that is what I deduced because our old setting of "ti,twl4030-power" did
no longer configure the power-off and not even load the driver.

> For gta04, what you really want is to use ti,twl4030-power-idle or
> even ti,twl4030-power-idle-osc-off if the board is wired to support
> cutting off the oscillator.

Ok, I see (but must admit that I don't understand the details even after
reading the bindings.txt).

Currently we develop without taking care of suspend (the DT migration was
much more troublesome work than anticipated) but that should be changed soon.

> And you probably also want to configure some wake-up interrupts at least
> for the the UARTs in the board specific .dts file, see for example the
> UART3 in the existing board files that have:
>
> interrupts-extended = <&intc 74 &omap3_pmx_core OMAP3_UART3_RX>;

thanks for the hint!

BR,
Nikolaus