Re: [RFC 1/2] target: Add documentation on the target userspace pass-through driver

From: Andy Grover
Date: Tue Sep 02 2014 - 18:06:25 EST

Reading this several times, I now think I get what it's trying to say,
but I think it needs to introduces the terms (as the Economist style
does). Something like this:

"TCM is the new name for LIO, an in-kernel iSCSI target (server).
Existing TCM targets run in the kernel. TCMU (TCM in Userspace)
allows userspace programs to be written which act as iSCSI targets.
This document describes the design.

The existing kernel provides modules for different SCSI transport
protocols. TCM also modularizes the data storage. There are
existing modules for file, block device, RAM or using another SCSI
device as storage. These are called "backstores" or "storage
engines". These built-in modules are implemented entirely as kernel
code."

And hopefully having defined a bit of background, the rest of the
document just flows nicely:

Thanks much! I've put this in the doc, and will hopefully send out a final patchset for inclusion with the new text in the next week or so.

<begin naming potential-bikeshed wasteoftime>

The only change I made was "another" instead of "the new name" -- because to be honest I don't know if there was actually an attempt at a name change, and if so if it was successful or not :) LIO seems to have stuck, but TCM seems to refer just to the "backend" part of LIO.

<end bikeshed>

Thanks again -- Andy