Re: [RFC v1 0/3] driver-core: add asynch module loading support

From: Greg KH
Date: Thu Sep 04 2014 - 17:53:02 EST

On Thu, Sep 04, 2014 at 11:21:18PM +0200, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> I still believe its a good approach if we wanted to scale it but that
> would require the desire to do so, I obviously considered it worthwhile
> as I shaved off at least ~1 second off kernel boot time when doing an
> original proof of concept and only doing drivers, and taking into
> consideration my kenrel takes ~5 seconds before userspace is reached.

Sidenote, something is really wrong with your hardware or configuration
if it takes 5 seconds to get to userspace on a modern system these days.
Everything[1] I run is in the sub-second boot time before userspace is
hit, and everything boots to full graphics mode in less than 5 seconds.
The long-pole is by far, the bios/uefi these days.

I think you need new hardware, or a better kernel .config file :)

> I'll toss this in the bin for now though and send something based on
> Tejun's approach shortly!

That would be great, thanks for doing this.

greg k-h

[1] A wide range of laptops and server/build boxes, some 3+ years old,
this isn't just new hardware by any means.