Re: bit fields && data tearing

From: Peter Hurley
Date: Fri Sep 05 2014 - 12:17:32 EST

On 09/05/2014 08:37 AM, David Laight wrote:
> From: Peter Hurley
>> On 09/05/2014 04:30 AM, David Laight wrote:
>>> I've seen gcc generate 32bit accesses for 16bit structure members on arm.
>>> It does this because of the more limited range of the offsets for the 16bit access.
>>> OTOH I don't know if it ever did this for writes - so it may be moot.
>>
>> Can you recall the particulars, like what ARM config or what code?
>>
>> I tried an overly-simple test to see if gcc would bump up to the word load for
>> the 12-bit offset mode, but it stuck with register offset rather than immediate
>> offset. [I used the compiler options for allmodconfig and a 4.8 cross-compiler.]
>>
>> Maybe the test doesn't generate enough register pressure on the compiler?
>
> Dunno, I would have been using a much older version of the compiler.
> It is possible that it doesn't do it any more.
> It might only have done it for loads.
>
> The compiler used to use misaligned 32bit loads for structure
> members on large 4n+2 byte boundaries as well.
> I'm pretty sure it doesn't do that either.
>
> There have been a lot of compiler versions since I was compiling
> anything for arm.

Yeah, it seems gcc for ARM no longer uses the larger operand size as a
substitute for 12-bit immediate offset addressing mode, even for reads.

While this test:

struct x {
short b[12];
};

short load_b(struct x *p) {
return p->b[8];
}

generates the 8-bit immediate offset form,

short load_b(struct x *p) {
0: e1d001f0 ldrsh r0, [r0, #16]
4: e12fff1e bx lr

pushing the offset out past 256:

struct x {
long unused[64];
short b[12];
};

short load_b(struct x *p) {
return p->b[8];
}

generates the register offset addressing mode instead of 12-bit immediate:

short load_b(struct x *p) {
0: e3a03e11 mov r3, #272 ; 0x110
4: e19000f3 ldrsh r0, [r0, r3]
8: e12fff1e bx lr

Regards,
Peter Hurley

[Note: I compiled without the frame pointer to simplify the code generation]