Re: [RFC v2 3/6] kthread: warn on kill signal if not OOM

From: Tejun Heo
Date: Fri Sep 05 2014 - 19:32:17 EST

Hey,

On Fri, Sep 05, 2014 at 04:22:42PM -0700, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> > I don't get it. This is a behavior userland already depends on for
> > boots. What's there to agree or disagree? This is just a fact that
> > we can't do this w/o disturbing some userlands in a major way.
>
> I am just expressing my disbelief that somebody relies on module loading
> being synchronous with probing. Out of curiosity, do you have any
> pointers?

I've seen initrd scripts which depended on the behavior to wait for
storage devices over the years. AFAIK, none of the modern distros
does it but this has been such a basic feature all along and it seems
highly unlikely to me that there's no userland remaining out there
depending on such behavior. We do have a lot of different userlands,
many of them quite ad-hoc.

Thanks.

--
tejun