Re: [Patch v4 1/2] freezer: check OOM kill while being frozen

From: Michal Hocko
Date: Thu Sep 11 2014 - 12:30:27 EST

On Wed 10-09-14 13:30:25, Cong Wang wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 4:29 PM, Cong Wang <xiyou.wangcong@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Do I think correctly that cgroups freezing and system suspend are
> >> mutually exclusive? If not, then this still is problematic.
> >
> > Good point! Although rare, but it is possible we freeze a process both from
> > cgroup and PM. Hmm, this means we have to explicitly exclude PM rather
> > just checking cgroup freeze? Interesting, but I am not familiar with PM.
> >

> I am wondering if the folllowing check makes any sense with regarding
> to rule out PM freeze:
>
> if ((!pm_nosig_freezing && !pm_freezing) &&
> cgroup_freezing(current) && test_thread_flag(TIF_MEMDIE))
> return true;

Why is this needed in the first place? What if OOM happens in the middle
of task freezing during freeze_processes? Also killing a task at that
stage should be safe as no devices are suspended yet and OOM killer is
disabled after all tasks are frozen and allocations fail at that stage.
--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs