Re: [GIT PULL] x86 fixes

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue Sep 23 2014 - 01:58:29 EST

* Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > * Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > I only just noticed, but this pull request causes my Sony Vaio
> > > laptop to immediately reboot at startup.
> > >
> > > I'm assuming it's one of the efi changes, but I'm bisecting now
> > > to say exactly where it happens. It will get reverted.
> >
> > I've Cc:-ed Matt.
> >
> > My guess would be one of these two EFI commits:
> >
> > * Fix early boot regression affecting x86 EFI boot stub when loading
> > initrds above 4GB - Yinghai Lu
> >
> > 47226ad4f4cf x86/efi: Only load initrd above 4g on second try
> >
> > * Relocate GOT entries in the x86 EFI boot stub now that we have
> > symbols with global visibility - Matt Fleming
> >
> > 9cb0e394234d x86/efi: Fixup GOT in all boot code paths
> >
> > If it's 9cb0e394234d - then it's perhaps a build quirk, or a bug
> > in the assembly code. If so then we'd have to revert this, and
> > reintroduce another regression, caused by EFI commit
> > f23cf8bd5c1f49 in this merge window. The most recent commit is
> > easy to revert, the older one not.
> >
> > If it's 47226ad4f4cf then we'd reintroduce the regression caused
> > by 4bf7111f501 in the previous merge window. They both revert
> > cleanly after each other - but it might be safer to just revert
> > the most recent one.
> >
> > My guess is that your regression is caused by 47226ad4f4cf.
>
> Wrong sha1: my guess is on 9cb0e394234d, the GOT fixup.

So if it's the GOT fixup then I feel the safest option is to
revert 9cb0e394234d straight away, and then to do a functional
revert of f23cf8bd5c1f49 as a separate step, perhaps via
something really crude like:

#include "../..../drivers/firmware/efi/libstub/efi-stub-helper.c"

or so. (Maybe someone else can think of something
cleaner/simpler, because this method is really ugly, as we'd have
to #include the whole libstub library into eboot.c AFAICS...)

Thanks,

Ingo