Re: [Ksummit-discuss] TPM MiniSummit @ LinuxCon Europe

From: Andy Lutomirski
Date: Tue Sep 23 2014 - 12:42:59 EST

On Sep 22, 2014 2:07 AM, "Peter Huewe" <PeterHuewe@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to 'invite' all interested parties in a short TPM minisummit where we can discuss the following hot topics of the TPM subsystem over a beer or two:
> - State of the TPM Subsystem
> - De-/Initialization Mess
> - Devm'ification
> - Testing
> - TPM 2.0 Support
> - Dependencies / interaction with other subsystems (e.g. keyring / IMA)
> - Status of old 1.1b TPM drivers, deprecation plans
> - ...

I am unlikely to be there, but I have a feature request / food for thought:

Using a mandatory userspace daemon (e.g. trousers) for TPM access
sucks. Might it be possible to teach the kernel to handle context
save and restore and let multiple processes open the device at once?
Then a daemon wouldn't be necessary.

There would still be a need for some policy (e.g. who can clear the
SRK), but that should be manageable. Maybe there should be two device
nodes. /dev/tpm_unpriv would be fully virtualized for access by
multiple processes, but it would only allow use of the key hierarchy
and read access to PCRs. /dev/tpm_priv would allow NV access, PCR
writes, SRK clears, etc.

--Andy