Re: [V8 1/2] irqchip: gic: Add support for multiple MSI for ARM64

From: Suravee Suthikulpanit
Date: Tue Sep 23 2014 - 13:04:55 EST

Thomas,

Sorry again for the mistake on my part. Let me try to address some other concerns you have below.

From: Suravee Suthikulpanit <Suravee.Suthikulpanit@xxxxxxx>

This patch implelments the ARM64 version of arch_setup_msi_irqs(),
which does not return 1 for when PCI_CAP_ID_MSI and nvec > 1.

I can see that myself. What your changelog is missing is the reason
WHY you think that copying that code from drivers/pci/msi.c and
removing the "PCI_CAP_ID_MSI and nvec > 1" has any value.

[Suravee] This is mainly be cause the weak version of arch_setup_msi_irqs() in the drivers/pci/msi.c doesn't support multi-MSI. Sorry for not being clear in the commit message.

And that new function "arm64_setup_msi_irqs" is declared in which
header file exactly?

[Suravee] This was supposed to be arch_setup_msi_irqs(). My bad. I'm fixing this in the next version.

+ *
+ * Note:
+ * Current implementation assumes that all interrupt controller used in
+ * ARM64 architecture _MUST_ supports multi-MSI.

Great assumption....

[Suravee] So, Marc and I have discussed in the past that at this point, we are not seeing the case that there will be interrupt or MSI-controller that will not support multi-MSI. If you think this should not be the case, would you please share your thought.

At least you are consistent on the useless side of affairs:

+{
+ struct msi_desc *entry;
+ int ret;
+
+ list_for_each_entry(entry, &dev->msi_list, list) {
+ ret = arch_setup_msi_irq(dev, entry);

Anyone who has the slightest idea how multi-MSI works will know that
this CANNOT work at all, but that's none of my business.

[Suravee] I noticed that in the x86 version, there is a callback that each MSI controller need to register for handling the multi-MSI stuff.

In gicv2m_setup_msi_irq(), there is logic which handles the setup for multi-MSI and MSIx separately. In case of multi-MSI, the vectors are allocated on the first call to arch_setup_msi_irq(). Here, Marc and I are trying to simplify the arch-specific code so that each GIC controller (V2m and V3) would not need to implement and register the callbacks separately for handling multi-MSI.

The thing that is broken here is the error handling where the arch_setup_msi_irqs() is supposed to return the number of available MSI vectors. It would fail to do so because the arch_setup_msi_irq() would not return positive value. We should be able to fix this by re-implementing the arch_setup_msi_irq() and arch_setup_msi_irqs() to allow returning of positive values.

Please let me know what you think. I am open for suggestions :)

Thanks,

Suravee