Re: x86, microcode: BUG: microcode update that changes x86_capability

From: Borislav Petkov
Date: Tue Sep 23 2014 - 16:01:08 EST

On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 01:42:17PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> 1. offline a "guinea pig" group of "cpus", i.e. an entire "microcode update
> unit" that doesn't include the BSP. This is going to be a pain, as what
> composes a "microcode update unit" is not set in stone, and could change in
> a future microarch.

I'm pretty sure it is very dangerous to run with different microcode
revisions on different cores. Your plan won't fly and I have hard time
understanding why one would do such thing even if it did work.

If we're going to have to hide stuff which software might be using, I
don't see a way around rebooting.

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.

Sent from a fat crate under my desk. Formatting is fine.