Re: [RFT Part2 v2 00/24] Enable hierarchy irqdomian on x86 platforms

From: Borislav Petkov
Date: Fri Sep 26 2014 - 10:29:43 EST

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 10:02:01PM +0800, Jiang Liu wrote:
> We plan to restructure x86 interrupt code based on hierarchy irqdomain,
> that is to build irqdomains for CPU vector, interrupt remapping unit,
> IOAPIC, MSI and HPET etc and organize those irqdomains in hierarchy mode.
> Each irqdomain manages corresponding interrupt controller and talks to
> parent interrupt controller through public irqdomain interfaces. We also
> support stacked irq_chip based on hierarchy irqdomain. It will make the
> x86 interrupt architecture much more clear and more easy to maintain
> with hierarchy irqdomain and stacked irq_chip. It may also help ARM
> interrupt management architecture too.
>
> This is the second patch set to enable support of hierarchy irqdomain
> on x86 platforms. It depends on the first part at:
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/9/26/501
> And you may access it at:
> https://github.com/jiangliu/linux.git irqdomain/p2v2
>
> And there will be a third patch set to convert IOAPIC driver to support
> hierarchy irqdomain and clean up code.
>
> The first patch extends irqdomain interfaces to support hierarchy
> irqdomain. Hope this interface could be used by other architectures too,
> such as ARM/ARM64.
> The second patch introduces two helper functions to support stacked
> irq_chip.
> Patch 3-9 implements an irqdomain to manange CPU interrupt vectors, and
> it's the root irqdomain for x86 platforms.
> Patch 10-13 converts Intel and AMD interrupt remapping drivers to
> support hierarchy irqdomain.
> Patch 14-16 converts HPET and MSI to support hierarchy irqdomain.
> Patch 17-20 cleans up unsued code in x86 arch and interrupt remapping
> drivers.
> Patch 21-24 converts DMAR, HTIRQ and UV to support hierarchy irqdomain.
>
> We have tested this patchset on Intel 32-bit and 64-bit systems. And it
> also passes Fengguang's 0day tests. But helps are need for testing:
> 1) AMD interrupt remapping
> 2) AMD HT_IRQ

Adding Aravind.

@Aravind: you might want to give that patchset a run just in case, to
make sure it doesn't break anything on AMD. You'll need the previous
patchset to go before too, though:

https://lkml.kernel.org/r/1411738196-29958-1-git-send-email-jiang.liu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'm sure Jiang will help you if you have more questions.

Thanks.

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.