Re: ext4: 3.17? problems

From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
Date: Tue Sep 30 2014 - 19:18:19 EST

On Tue, 30 Sep 2014, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > > So I had to hard power-down the machine. That should be perfectly
> > > safe, as ext4 has a journal, and this is plain SATA disk, right?
> > Yes, it should be safe.
>
> Good.

> Is there some phase during shutdown where journalling no longer
> protects fs integrity?

Hmm... what kind of backing device? Because I have Crucial/Micron M500 SSDs
here that _always_ complain (in a SMART counter/attribute) that they have
been subject to a sudden poweroff *when subject to a normal system
shutdown*.

This is scaring me a great deal. Are we doing something different for SSDs
in the scsi-sd or libata shutdown paths?

Henrique Holschuh