Re: Please backport commit 3812c8c8f39 to stable

From: Cong Wang
Date: Fri Oct 03 2014 - 14:03:41 EST

On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 8:13 AM, Michal Hocko <mhocko@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> That commit fixes an OOM deadlock. Not a soft lockup. Do you have the
> OOM killer report from the log? This would tell us that the killed task
> was indeed sleeping on the lock which is hold by the charger which
> triggered the OOM. I am little bit surprised that I do not see any OOM
> related functions on the stacks (maybe the code is inlined...).

Oh, did you see __mem_cgroup_try_charge() calls
schedule_timeout_uninterruptible() in stack trace? Yes, they are inlined
and I don't see any other possibilities for calling it.

> It would be better to know what exactly is going on before backporting
> this change because it is quite large.

I thought the stack trace I showed is obvious. :) I am very happy
to investigate if you see any other path calling
schedule_timeout_uninterruptible()
in __mem_cgroup_try_charge().